Little Easton, Essex
Easton, Little, a village and a parish in Essex on the river Chelmer, 2 miles NW by N from Dunmow station on the G.E.R., and 6 ¼ E by S from Stanstead, with a post office under Dunmow ; money order and telegraph office, Dun-mow. Acreage, 1602; population, 336. Easton Lodge, a, fine mansion standing in a park of 800 acres, is the seat of Lord and Lady Brooke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; yearly value, £251 with residence, in the gift of the Countess of Warwick. The church has two brasses and is good. There are almshouses for four widows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Easton from the following:
Online maps of Little Easton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: