Little Canfield, Essex
Canfield, Little, a parish in Essex, on the river Roding and on the G.E.R., 3 miles W by S of Dunmow, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Takeley. Acreage, 1492; population, 286. The living is a rectory in, the diocese of St Albans; yearly value, £281 with residence,. in the gift of Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is partly ancient, partly a renovation of 1817, partly a reconstruction of 1859, shows Norman, Perpendicular, and Decorated characters in fine blending, and contains a richly sculptured monument, erected by the Rev. C. L. Smith, M.A., the late rector, to the memory of his mother.
Online maps of Little Canfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: