Little Baddow, Essex
Baddow, Little, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a tributary of the Chelmer river, 2 miles S of the G.E.R., and 4 E by N of Chelmsford, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Danbury. The parish includes also the hamlet of Mid-diemead. Acreage, 2735 of land and 21 of water; population, 543. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £297 with residence. The church, which is a building of Roman materials and rubble in the Early English style, contains a costly and splendid monument to the memory of Sir Henry Mildmay, Bart., who died in 1639. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Baddow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Baddow from the following:
Online maps of Little Baddow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: