Leyton or Low Leyton, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands adjacent to the river Lea and the G.E.R.. on which it has a station, and the boundary with Middlesex, 5 ½ miles NE by E of Bishopsgate, London; took its name, signifying Leatown, from its position on the Lea; occupies or is near the site of a Roman station, near the Roman or Stone Way to Colchester, and where many coins and other relics of the Romans and some of the Saxons have been found; belonged to King Harold, and was the birthplace of Sir Thomas Roe, ambassador to the Great Mogul and to the Sultan of Turkey in the time of Charles I. It formerly consisted of one long street with a number of fine villa residences surrounded by gardens and trees, but it is now a rapidly growing residential suburb of London. The parish has an area of 2331 acres of land and 39 of water; population, 43,906. It is in the Eastern Suburban Postal District, is within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court and Metropolitan Police, and is governed by a Local Board of Health of fifteen members. There is a branch of the Essex County Lunatic Asylum called Lea Hall, and there is a metropolitan police station in the Lea Bridge Road. Remains of ancient entrenchments with a square double embankment surrounded by a moat are at Ruckholts. Temple mills, in the Lea, were mills said to have belonged to the Knights Templars, but they were demolished to give place to waterworks. There are still several fine old houses in the parish, among which may be mentioned Eitoe House, once the residence of the late Cardinal Wiseman, and Ruckholts House, formerly the seat of the Hickes family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £300 with residence. The church, rebuilt of brick in 1821, with the exception of the tower, which dates from about 1658, is a plain building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, two small porches on the S side, and a western tower. It formerly contained a memorial of John Strype, a zealous antiquary and historian, who was incumbent of the parish for sixty-eight years, and it still contains monuments to Charles (Goring) second and last Earl of Norwich, Bowyer the famous printer, Sir Josiah Child the founder of Child's Bank, several memorials of the Hickes family, and some interesting brasses. The ecclesiastical district of All Saints was formed in 1886 out of Leyton and Walthamstow. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £289 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Leyton. The church, a plain cruciform building of stone and brick in the Decorated style, was erected in 1865; a new church, capable of accommodating 600 persons, was erected in 1893. There are also Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan cliapels, a Plymouth Brethren meeting-room, and a Salvation Army barracks. The charities include eight almshouses, belonging to the Master Bakers' Pension Society in the Lea Bridge Road.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: