Layer Breton, Essex
Layer Breton, a parish in Essex, on an affluent of the Roman river called the Layerbrook, 5 miles E from Mark's Tey station on the main line of the G.E.R., and 6 SW by S of Colchester. It has a post office under Kelvedon; money order and telegraph office. Birch. Acreage, 1260; population, 247. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £215 with residence. The church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, is a small building partly of brick in the Early English style. There are a Congregational chapel and a Friends' meeting-house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Layer Breton from the following:
Online maps of Layer Breton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: