Latton, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on the river Stort and the G.E.R., at the boundary with Herts, 1 mile E by S of Burnt Mill station, and 1 ½ SW of Harlow. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Harlow. Acreage, 1625; population, 245. An Augustinian priory was founded here before 1276, was given at the dissolution to Sir Henry Parker, and has left some remains in Decorated English architecture, now used as a barn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £316 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Late Perpendicular style; consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower; has adjoining the chancel a small chapel, built in 1448 by Sir Peter Arderae, Kfc, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and contains some ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Latton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Latton from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: