Langley, a parish in Essex, adjacent to Herts, 5 ½ miles W by N of Newport station on the G.E.R., and 7 ½ WSW of Saffron Walden. Post town, Bishop Stortford; money order office, Clavering; telegraph office, Newport. Acreage, 1660; population, 378. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £167 with residence. Patrons, the Governors of Christ's Hospital. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Early English style, and there are also Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langley St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langley from the following:
Online maps of Langley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: