Langenhoe, a parish in Essex, near the river Colne, 3 miles SSW of Wivenhoe station on the G.E.R., and 6 S by E of Colchester. Post town, Abberton, under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Wivenhoe. Acreage, 2084; population, 208, Much of the land is marsh. The limits include Pewett Island, in the creek between Mersea Island and the mainland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value,, £395 with residence. Patron, Lord Carlingford. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style. It was erected in 1886 on the site of an older building, which suffered considerably in the earthquake of 22 April, 1884. Lord Carlingford is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langenhoe St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langenhoe from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Langenhoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: