Langdon Hills, Essex
Langdon Hills, a village and a parish in Essex, with a station 1 mile S on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 5 ½ miles S of Billericay. The parish takes its. name from one of the highest hills in the county, commanding a splendid view over the Thames, and includes the hamlet of West Lee, which was anciently a separate parish. It has a post office under Romford; money order and telegraph office, Horndon-on-the-Hill. Acreage, 1816; population, 213. The manor belonged formerly to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £221 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The old church, which stands on the W side of the hill, is now only used as a mortuary chapel. The new church, erected in 1877, is a building of Kentish ragstone in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Langdon-Hills St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langdon Hills from the following:
Online maps of Langdon Hills are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: