Lamarsh, a parish, with a village, in Essex, adjacent to the river Stour at the boundary with Suffolk, 2 ¼ miles NW of Bures station on the G.E.R., and 4 SSE of Sudbury. Post town and money order and telegraph omce, Bures St Mary, under Colchester. Acreage, 940; population of the civil parish, 196; of the ecclesiastical, 229. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £350 with residence. The church is a small building of brick and stone in the Early English style, has a round tower with octagonal spire, and was restored in 1869. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lamarsh Holy Innocents|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lamarsh from the following:
Online maps of Lamarsh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: