Kirby le Soken, Essex
Kirby-le-Soken, a village and a parish in Essex. Tile-village stands on a creek of Hanford Water, 2 ½ miles W by N of Walton steamboat pier, and 12 by road SSW of Harwich; it has a station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., and a post office under Colchester; money order-office, Kirby Cross; telegraph office, Walton-on-the-Naze. The telegraph office for Kirby Cross is Frinton-on-Sea. The parish includes the hamlets of Kirby Cross, Sneating, and Upper Street, the islands of Horsey, Pewett, and Skippers, and some smaller islands and marshes on the N? Acreage, 3874 of land and 952 of water and foreshore;. population, 839. Sneating Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £146 with residence. The church is a building of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, N porch, and an embattled W tower, in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles. It was restored in 1870-73. There are-Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirby-Le-Soken St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirby le Soken from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: