High Roding, Essex
Roding, High, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Roding, 4 miles SW from Dunmow station on the G.E.R. There is a post office under Dunmow; money order and telegraph office, Dunmow. Acreage, 1740; population, 446. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. Like the other Roding villages it is an ancient place, and is said to have been given by Leofwin in the reign of Edward the Confessor to a monastery in the Isle of Ely. The manor belongs to the Earl of Roden, who is chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £280 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Roden. The church is a building of flint in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western bell-turret; it contains two ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||High Roothing All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Roding from the following:
Online maps of High Roding are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: