Herongate, a hamlet in East Horndon parish, Essex, 3 ½ miles SE from Brentwood. It has a post and money order office under Brentwood; telegraph office, Brentwood. Two barns are here, remains of Heron Hall, the seat of the Tyrrells, taken down in 1790.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Herongate are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: