Hadstock, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 1 ½ mile S from Linton station on the G.E.R., and 4 miles ENE from Chesterford. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Linton; was once a market town, and formerly had a fair on 17 June. The parish comprises 1731 acres; population, 429. Traces have been seen of a Roman villa. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £282 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St Botolph, is Norman and cruciform, and has a tower. It was rebuilt in 1884. A well set round with stones, and called St Botolph's Well, is in the churchyard. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hadstock St. Botolph|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hadstock from the following:
Online maps of Hadstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: