Hadleigh, an ancient town and a parish in Essex. The town stands 1 ½ mile N of Hadleigh Ray, 2 miles NE by E from South Benfleet railway station, and 2 ½ S of Rayleigh, is an ancient place, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Hadleigh Ray is the strait on the N side of Canvey Island. The parish comprises 1816 acres; population, 520. The manor belonged in the time of Henry III. to Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, passed to the Riches and the Barnards, and is now the property of Henry Harrison, Esq. Remains of a castle built by Hubert de Burgh stand on an eminence commanding an extensive view, occupy an oval area of 330 feet by 120, include buttressed walls and remains of two towers, and exhibit traces both of magnificence and of great strength. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £305 with residence. The church is a building of stone chiefly in the Norman style, and dating from the time of Stephen. Hadleigh House is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hadleigh St. James|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hadleigh from the following:
Online maps of Hadleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: