Greenstead (Colchester), Essex
Greenstead, a parish in the third ward of the borough of Colchester, Essex, on the river Colne, 1 mile S from Colchester. It contains the Hythe station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, The Hythe (T.S.O.) Area, 1501 acres; population of the civil parish, 868; of the ecclesiastical, 750. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value,, £160 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is very good, and the church of St John the Evangelist also is here. There is also a Baptist chapel, erected in 1885.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Greenstead St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Colchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Greenstead (Colchester) from the following:
Online maps of Greenstead (Colchester) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: