Great Waltham, Essex
Waltham, Great or Much, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Chelmer, 5 miles N from Chelmsford town and station on the G.E.R., with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chelmsford. Acreage, 7420 of land and 31 of water; population of the civil parish, 2222; of the ecclesiastical, 1479. For parish council purposes it is divided into two wards, Great Waltham and Ford End, the former returning seven and the latter four members to the council. The manor belongs to the Tufnell family, and much of the land to the Governors of Guy's Hospital. Langleys is a fine country mansion, very pleasantly situated in a deer park of about 84 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £238, in the gift of Trinity College, Oxford. The church, an ancient and spacious edifice of flint and stone in the Late Perpendicular style, with a Norman tower, contains some ancient and interesting tombs and monuments. See FORD END.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Waltham St. Mary and St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Waltham from the following:
Online maps of Great Waltham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: