Great Stambridge, Essex
Stambridge, Great (anciently known as Much Stambridge), a village and a parish in Essex, 2 miles E by N of Rochford station on the G.E.R., and 5½ NNE of Southend. There is a post office under Rochford (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Rochford. Acreage, 2447; population of the civil parish, 334; of the ecclesiastical, 476. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. The ecclesiastical parish has been consolidated with Little Stambridge. The manor belongs to the governors of the Charterhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £378 with two residences. Patrons, the Charterhouse, London, and the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of stone, a portion of it of Saxon date, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, and a western tower of clunch surmounted by a low wooden spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stambridge St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Stambridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stambridge, Great (St. Mary and All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Stambridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: