Great Sampford, Essex
Sampford, Great or Old, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Pant, 3 ¾ miles NE by N of Thaxted, and 7 from Newport station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Braintree; money order office, Finchingfield; telegraph office, Radwinter. There is a fair on Whit-Monday. The parish comprises 1737 acres; population of the civil parish, 492; of the ecclesiastical, 1163. The manor appears on record as a domain of Edward the Confessor, and now belongs to the Thurgood family. The manufacture of straw-plait is carried on. The living is a vicarage, united with Hempstead, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £157. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and containing some ancient tombs and memorials. There is a Baptist chapel. Tindon End is a hamlet about a mile and a half SW of the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sampford St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Sampford from the following:
Online maps of Great Sampford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: