Great Saling, Essex
Saling, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 6 miles NW by W of Braintree, and 3 ½ NW from Rayne station on the Bishop Stortford, Dunmow, and Braintree branch of the G.E.R. It dates from before the time of Edward the Confessor, and has a post and money order office under Braintree; telegraph office, Rayne. The parish comprises 1599 acres; population of the civil parish, 309; of the ecclesiastical, 325. The Grove is a fine modern mansion standing in a park of 50 acres. The Old Hall is a Tudor mansion of brick. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £90 with residence. The church was restored and partly rebuilt in 1864, is a building of flint and stone in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and a small tower with two fine toned bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Saling St. James|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Saling from the following:
Online maps of Great Saling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: