Great Parndon, Essex
Parndon, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 2 ½ miles SE of Roydon station and 2 N of Burnt Hill station on the G.E.R., and 5 ½ NW by N of Epping; is an ancient place; and has a post office under Harlow; money order office, Harlow; telegraph office, Netteswell Cross. The parish comprises 2231 acres; population, 534. The manor belongs to Earl Cowley. King's Moor House belongs to the Todhunters. A Premonstratensian canonry was anciently founded in Great Parndon by Roger de Parndon, and was removed in 1180 to Little Maldon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £461 with residence. The church is a building of stone and rubble in the Late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, N porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Parndon from the following:
Online maps of Great Parndon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: