Goldhanger, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the N side of the Blackwater's estuary, 4 miles ENE of Maldon town and station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Maldon; money order and telegraph office, Tolleshunt D'Arcy. Acreage of the civil parish, 1807; population, 466; of the ecclesiastical, with Little Totham, 812. The land is low and marshy, and salterns on it are mentioned in Domesday book. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Little Totham, in the diocese of St Albans; joint gross value, £715, net £490. The church, a building of flint and stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, has an embattled tower, and is very good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. An extensive fishing trade is carried on.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Goldhanger St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Goldhanger from the following:
Online maps of Goldhanger are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: