Fordham, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the left bank of the river Colne, 3 miles E by S of Chappel station on the Colne Valley railway, and 5 NW by W of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester; money order office, Ford Street; telegraph office, West Berg-holt. The parish comprises 2522 acres; population, 700. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £413 with residence. Patrons, Onley Savill-Onley, Esq., and Earl Cowper, K.G., alternately. The church is Later English, has a tower, and was restored in 1861? The celebrated Independent Dr John Owen, chaplain to Cromwell, was rector for some time during the Commonwealth. There is a chapel of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fordham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fordham from the following:
Online maps of Fordham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: