Finchingfield, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Pant, 5 miles ENE of Thaxted, and 9 NW from Braintree station on the G.E.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Brain-tree. The parish comprises 8430 acres ; population of the civil parish, 1584; of the ecclesiastical parish of St John the Baptist, 1162; and of the ecclesiastical parish of Cornish Hall End, which is noticed separately, 506. The manor was held in the reign of Edward III. by John de Compes for the service of turning the spit at his coronation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £546 with residence. The church, an ancient building of flint, contains some interesting tombs and monuments. There is a Congregational chapel. Spains Hall is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Finchingfield St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Finchingfield from the following:
Online maps of Finchingfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: