Elmdon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 4¼ miles WNW from Audley End station on the G.E.R., and 5— WNW from Saffron-Walden, and has a post and money order office under Saffron-Walden; telegraph office, Heydon. Acreage, 3461; population, 595. The living is a vicarage. annexed to the rectory of Wendon-Lofts, hi the diocese of St Albans; joint net yearly value, £305. The church is a building of flint in the Early English style, and has some ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elmdon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elmdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elmdon (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Elmdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: