East Tilbury, Essex

Historical Description

Tilbury, East, a parish in Essex, on the Thames, 1 mile ESE of Low Street station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 6 miles E by S of Grays Thurrock. It has a post office under Tilbury (R.O.); money order office, West Tilbury; telegraph office. Tilbury Docks. Acreage, 2134; population, 501. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Coalhouse Fort is a strongly fortified place, mounting twenty heavy guns, and forming a triangle with the Shornmead and Cliff Forts on the S bank of the river. It has usually but a very small garrison, but in time of war will hold 700 men. The residence of St Chad, Bishop of the East Saxons, was here. An ancient ferry over the Thames also was here, and is believed to have been that by which the Emperor Claudius crossed the river in pursuit of the Britons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £188 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient edifice of flint and stone of the Transition, Norman, and Lancet periods, and had a lofty tower which in the time of Charles II. was battered down by the Dutch fleet. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish East Tilbury St. Margaret
Hundred Barstable
Poor Law union Orsett

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Tilbury from the following:


Online maps of East Tilbury are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: