East Donyland, Essex
Donyland, East, a parish in Essex, on the river Colne, at the influx of the river Roman, 3 ½ miles SSE from Colchester, and half-a-mile from Wivenhoe station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Rowhedge. Acreage, 1376, of which 19 are of water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 1582 ; of the ecclesiastical, 1440. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans ; value, £174. The church, an octagonal building of white brick, was erected in 1838. Fishing is carried on here by some 40 smacks, and the place is a resort of yachtsmen. Rowhedge is a fishing village in this parish, situated on the west bank of the Colne. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: