Dovercourt, a parish and a watering-place in Essex, on the coast, facing the German Ocean, with the river Stour running behind it. It is 2 miles WSW of Harwich, and has a station on the G.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Harwich, and there is also a post office at Upper Dovercourt. Acreage, 2167, of which 739 are of water; population, 2727. Lower Dovercourt is a suburb to Harwich, and includes fine terrace-lines of houses,. a great number of villas and other fine residences, a first-class hotel, a spa-house with a chalybeate spring, seawalls and marine drives, all of recent construction, and it has excellent accommodation for bathers. The land is noted for fine hard elm. The living is a vicarage in the? diocese of St Albans ; net value, £148. The church of All Saints is a building of brick and rubble of the 12th century. The church of St Augustine is a building of brick erected in 1883-84. Two lighthouses were erected here in 1862.
Online maps of Dovercourt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: