Debden or Depden, Essex
Debden or Depden, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 2 miles E from Newport station on the G.E.R., and 3 ¼ S by E of Saffron-Walden, and has a post office under Saffron-Walden; money order and telegraph office, Newport. It has a fair on 1 June. The parish comprises 4653 acres, of which 20 are water ; population, 744. Debden Hall was built in 1795, after debigns by Holland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £645. The church is ancient, has monuments of the Chis-wells, and is good. There are a Congregational chapel, and charities worth about £120 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Debden St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Debden or Depden from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: