Clavering, a parish and a hundred in Essex. The parish lies on the west border of the county, 3½ miles SW of Newport station on the G.E.R., and 6½ SW by S of Saffron-Walden, and has a post and money order office under Newport (S.O.), which is the telegraph office. Acreage, 3831, of which 10 are water; population, 1012. Corn milling and malting are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £286 with residence. Patron,. Christ's Hospital. The church, which is an embattled building of flint in the Perpendicular style, has an effigy of a knight, a brass of the Welbores, and monuments of the Barlees. There are also Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. The hundred contains six parishes and parts of two others.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clavering St. Mary and St. Clement|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clavering from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clavering (St. Mary and St. Clement))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Clavering are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: