Clacton on Sea, Essex
Clacton-on-Sea, a modern seaside town in Essex, 8 miles SW from Walton-on-the-Naze, and 70 from London by rail, or 73 by water from London Bridge. It is in the civil parish of Great Clacton, but was constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1878. There are good sands on either side of the pier, an esplanade below the cliff, and on the top a green serving as a ground for various sports. The pavilion. on the pier, built in 1893, is the finest on the east coast. The town may be said to date from 1873, when the first hotel was opened, but since then it has increased rapidly in size and extent, and now has a bank, several good hotels (one erected in 1894 at a cost of £30,000), and a large number of lodging-houses and private dwellings. A handsome town-hall, in the centre of the town, was erected in 1893 at a cost of £9000. The town has an excellent supply of water drawn from artesian wells over 400 feet in depth. There is a station on the G.E.R., and during the summer season steamers call at the pier daily on their way to and from London. It has a head post office (R.S.O.) Population. 1662. The pier, erected in 1873 and enlarged in 1877 and 1890, is a substantial wooden structure. There is a coastguard station and a lifeboat, which is endowed by the Grand Lodge of Freemasons of England. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross annual value,. £279, in the gift of the Church Patronage Trustees. The church, opened in 1875 and enlarged in 1880, is a building of concrete in the Early English style. There are also Baptist, Congregational Union, and Wesleyan chapels.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: