Chipping Ongar, Essex
Ongar or Chipping Ongar, an ancient town and a parish in Essex. The town stands on the Cripsey Brook, a tributary of the river Roding, at the terminus of a branch of the G.E.R., 23 miles from London, and 6 E by N of Epping. It was known at Domesday as Aungre; took afterwards the name of Chipping Ongar to designate it as the seat of a market, and to distinguish it from High Ongar; belonged at Domesday to Earl Eustace; passed in the time of Henry II. to Richard de Lucy; occupies the site of an ancient entrenchment ; is proved, by the finding of many Roman relics in it, to have been the place of a Roman settlement; and had a castle at some early period, rebuilt and moated by Richard de Lucy, which is now represented by some remains. The town is a seat of petty sessions; consists chiefly of one street, situated on a rising bank, and commanding a good view; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), a bank, a three-arched bridge over the Cripsey, an iron bridge erected in 1869 over the washway at Shelley, a town-hall, a police station, a church, a Roman Catholic church, a Congregational chapel, an endowed trust school, a lecture-hall erected in 1870, a volunteer drill hall erected in 1873, and a building used for public meetings, reading and coffee rooms, &c., erected as a memorial to the late Captain Budworth, and known as the Budworth Hall. The workhouse is in Stanford Rivers, and is a plain building of red brick, with capacity for about 170 inmates. The parish comprises 511 acres; population, 813. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The church, erected in the 12th century, succeeded a very ancient chapel, and is in the Anglo-Norman or Transition style. It has many Roman bricks built into its walls, has loophole windows, and contains a monument to Lady Jane Cromwell, daughter of Oliver Cromwell, who was buried here. The living is a rectory iu the diocese of St Albans; net value, £107 with residence. The Congregational chapel contains memorials to the Rev. Isaac Taylor, a former minister and writer for the young, and his daughter, Jane Taylor, the celebrated authoress.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ongar St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chipping Ongar from the following:
Online maps of Chipping Ongar are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: