Chigwell, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands adjacent to the river Roding, near Epping Forest, 2 miles NE from Buckhurst Hill station on the G.E.R., and 6 SSW of Epping, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chigwell Road, and a fair on 30 Sept. Acreage, 5009, of which 25 are water; population, 6324. Population and acreage include Buckhurst Hill and Chigwell Row, which are in the civil parish of Chigwell. The population of the ecclesiastical parish of Chigwell is only 1391. the living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church has traces of Norman, is good, and contains an excellent brass of 1631. A school, founded in 1629 by Archbishop Harsnet, has £300 from endowment. Archbishop Harsnet and Beloe, the translator of Herodotus, were vicars, and Penn the Quaker was educated in the school. The King's Head Inn here is the original Maypole Inn referred to by Dickens in his story of " Barnaby Rudge."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chigwell St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chigwell from the following:
Online maps of Chigwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: