Chignal, a civil parish in Essex, which was formed in 1888 by the union of the previously separate parishes of Chignal St James, Ghignal Smealey or Brick Chignal, and part of the parish of Writtle, the two former, however, still remaining separate parishes ecclesiastically. It has a post office under Chelmsford; money order and telegraph office, Great Waltham. Acreage, 2027 ; population, 426 ; of the ecclesiastical parish of Chignal St James, 357; of Chignal Smealey, 123. Chignal St James lies on an affluent of the river Chelmer, about 3 miles NW from Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, with those of St Mary and Mashbury annexed; value, £430. The church is a building of flint in the Early English style. Chignal Smealey is about 5 miles NW from Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £50 with residence. The church is a very ancient building of brick in the Early English style. The font is peculiar, being the only brick font in England. Philip Morant, the celebrated Essex historian, was rector of the parish in 1735. The first rector mentioned was Richard Soke, in the time of Henry II. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chignal St. James|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chignal from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: