Chadwell St Mary, Essex
Chadwell St Mary, a parish in Essex, on the Thames and on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, 2¼ miles E of Grays railway station, and 2¼ S of Orsett. It has a post office under Grays; money order office, West Tilbury; telegraph office, Grays. Acreage, 1879; population, 3391. Chalk caves occur here called Daneholds and Cunobelin's gold mines. Tilbury Fort, of which the rector of Chadwell St Mary is H.M. acting chaplain, is partly within, and Tilbury station is wholly within, the border. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £233 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint faced with stone chiefly in the Decorated style, and the interior is elaborately and finely decorated. A large organ has been recently erected. The Tilbury docks in this parish are described under TILBURY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chadwell St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chadwell St Mary from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chadwell (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Chadwell St Mary are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: