Bures Mount, Essex
Bures-Mount, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, 1 mile S from Bures station on the G.E.R., and 6 miles S by E of Sudbury. Post town, Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Bures-St-Mary. Acreage, 1293 ; population of the civil parish, 252 ; of the ecclesiastical, 246. An ancient artificial mound here, about 80 feet high, and of unknown origin, has a base of nearly 1 ½ acre. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £270 with residence. The church is an ancient structure of brick and stone in the Norman style. It was restored in 1875. There is also a Baptist chapel. By a Local Government Order issued in 1884, certain detached parts of Bures in the Sudhury union were united with this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mount Bures St. John|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bures Mount from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: