Bulmer, a village and a parish in Essex. The parish lies on the verge of the county, near the river Stour, 2 miles WSW of Sudbury station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Sudbury, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage of the civil parish, 2806 ; population, 718; of the ecclesiastical, with Belchamp-Walter, 1243. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Belchamp-Walter, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £249. The chancel of the church is Early English; it was restored in 1883. The nave and north aisle are Perpendicuar, and were restored in 1891. There is also a Congregational chapel, e ected in 1873. Auberies, a fine country seat standing in a park of about 150 acres, is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bulmer St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bulmer from the following:
Online maps of Bulmer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: