Bocking, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the left bank of Blackwater river, and on a branch of the G.E.R., adjacent to Braintree; forms a suburb of that town, consists chiefly of one long street, and is a seat of petty sessions. A trade in baizes, called "bookings" was at one time prominent; and a manufacture of crape and matting is now carried on. The parish includes also High Garrett, and Bocking-Church Street, 2 miles distant from Braintree, with post, money order, and telegraph office under that town. Acreage, 4613 of land with 26 of water; population, 3526. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value £1204, with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is a large building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style; had -anciently three altars and five chantries, and contains some monuments and two brasses. There are two Congregational chapels and a Friends' Meeting House in Booking, and a Unitarian chapel at High Garrett.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bocking St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bocking from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: