Black Notley, Essex
Notley, Black, a very ancient village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Brain, 1 ½ mile NNW of Bulford station on the Maldon, Witham, and Braintree branch of the G.E.R., and 1 ½ S by E of Braintree. The parish contains also the hamlets of Row Green and Slamondsey or Slamsey, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Braintree. Acreage, 2309 ; population of the civil parish, 658; of the ecclesiastical, 642. Oaklands is a modern mansion standing in its own grounds near to the high road. Many antiquities, including copper, brass, and glazed vessels, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £290. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, organ chamber, S porch, and an octagonal shingled spire; it was restored in 1879 at a cost of £3000. Bishop Bedell and the naturalist John Ray were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Black Notley St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Black Notley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Black Notley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: