Bicknacre, a hamlet in Woodham-Ferris and Daubury parishes, Essex, 5 ½ miles SE of Chelmsford, under which it has a post office. A priory of black canons was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by Maurice Jeffrey, and a portion of it with arches still stands.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bicknacre from the following:
Online maps of Bicknacre are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: