Berden, Berdon, or Beardon, Essex
Berden, Berdon, or Beardon, a village and a parish in Essex. The nearest stations are Newport and Stanstead, each 6 miles distant. The parish has a post office under Bishop-Stortford; money order office, Clavering; telegraph office, Quendon. Acreage, 1800; population, 336. AsmallAugus-tinian priory was founded here in the reign of Henry III., was given at the dissolution to Henry Parker, and passed to the hospitals of Christ Church, Bridewell, and St Thomas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £180 with residence, including an allowance of £30 from Queen Anne's Bounty. Patron, Christ's Hospital. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Decorated style. The Rev. Joseph Medo, author of the " Clavis Apoca-lyptica," was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Berdon St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Berden, Berdon, or Beardon from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: