Beeleigh, a hamlet in the parish of St Peter-in-Maldon, Essex, 1 mile W of Maldon. A Premonstratenslan abbey was founded here in 1180 by Robert de Mantell, and given at the dissolution to Sir John Gate. Bourchier, Earl of Essex, and his wife were buried in the church, and this, measuring 36 feet by 18, and having groined arches, still stands. The remains of the abbey have been converted into a dwelling-house, the property of the lord of the manor.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: