Basildon, a township and a chapelry in Laindon parish, Essex, 2 ¼ miles NNW of Pitsea station on the London, Tilbury, & Southend railway, and 4 SE of Billericay, with a post office under Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Billericay. Acreage, 1615 ; population, 179. The living is annexed to Laindon rectory in the diocese of St Albans.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Basildon from the following:
Online maps of Basildon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: