Barling, or Barling Magna, Essex
Barling, or Barling Magna, a parish in Essex, on a creek of the Broomhill river, 4 ½ miles ESE of Rochford, 5 NE of Southend, and 3 N from Shoeburyness station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. It has a post office under Rochford; money order and telegraph office, Great Wakering. Acreage, 1290 of land and 161 of foreshore and water; population, 393. The manor was given by Edward the Confessor to St Paul's Cathedral. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £180, in the-gift of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church is in the Perpendicular style, with chancel and tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barling All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barling, or Barling Magna from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: