Aythorpe Roding, Essex
Aythorpe Roding, or Aythrope Roding or Roothing, an ancient parish and village in Essex, situated on the river Roding, 5 ½ miles W from Dunmow station on the G.E.R. Its name signifies the " high village upon the Roding. " It has a post office of the name of Aythrope Roding under Dunmow; money order office, White Roding; telegraph office, Ayton. Acreage, 1394; population, 193. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £299. The church is a small but ancient building of flint in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aythorpe Roothing St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aythorpe Roding from the following:
Online maps of Aythorpe Roding are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: