Aveley, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands adjacent to the Purfleet station of the London, Tilbury, and Sonthend railway, near the Thames, 7 miles SE of Romford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Pur-fleet (S.O.), and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2954 acres of land and 127 of water; population, 1020. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £317. Patron, the Bishop. The church is very old. There are a Congregational chapel and some almshouses. Belhus is a fine old mansion standing in a park about 3 miles in circumference.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aveley St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aveley from the following:
Online maps of Aveley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: