Audley End, Essex
Audley-End, a railway station, a post office, a hamlet, and a noble park near Saffron-Walden, Essex. The station is on the G.E.R., U mile W by S of Saffron-Walden, and at the junction of the branch railway thither. The park lies between the station and the town, on the river Granta, and is the seat of Lord Braybrooke. A bridge is in it by Adams, and a camp on Ermine Street. The mansion is part of a splendid Tudor pile, built in 1603-16. It occupies the site of a Benedictine priory of 1136, and was erected by Howard, Earl of Suffolk, afterwards Lord High Treasurer of England, and named after his uncle, Audley. The greater portion of the original building was pulled down under the direction of Sir John Vanbrngh, but what remains is magnificent, and contains some valuable paintings and a fine museum. The hamlet consists of a farm and a few cottages.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: