Ashdon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cam, 3 ½ miles NE of Saffron-Walden, and 2 S of Bartlow station on the G.E.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Saffron-Walden. The hamlet of Bartlow is in the parish. Acreage, 4156; population, 790. A place with a fine prospect and four barrows-the latter supposed to be sepulchral monuments uf Roman chiefs-contends with Ashingdon in Rochford district the repute of being the battlefield of Canute's victory of Assandune, in 1016, over Edmund Ironside. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £610. Patron, Caius College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of rubble and clunch in mixed styles, and there is also a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashdon All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashdon from the following:
Online maps of Ashdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: