Ardleigh, a village and a parish in Essex. The parish is 5 miles NE from Colchester, and has a station on the main line of the Great Eastern railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 5062; population of the civil parish, 1638; of the ecclesiastical, 1322. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans ; value, £215, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church lias been restored at a cost of about £6000. There is a Wesleyan and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The soil is gravel, and the air exceptionally bracing.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ardleigh St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ardleigh from the following:
Online maps of Ardleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: