Althorne, a village and a parish in Essex, near the river Crouch, 8 miles SE of Maldon, with a station on the G.E.R., and a post office under Maldon; money order and telegraph office, Latchingdon. Area, 2237 acres of land and 234 of water; population, 313. Part of the land lies lower than the spring-tide mark, and is protected by embankments constructed by Dutchmen, whose descendants remain here. The living is a vicarage, united to the rectory of Creeksea, in the diocese of St Albans; value, about £250 with residence. The church is a structure of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style. It was restored in 1883. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. A portion of Bridgemarsh Island is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Althorne St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Althorne from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: